Thursday, July 19, 2012

"Begin Again" Devotional - Pt. 7 (Nehemiah 2:11-20)

11 Three days after my arrival at Jerusalem, 12 I slipped out during the night, taking only a few others with me. I had not told anyone about the plans God had put in my heart for Jerusalem. We took no pack animals with us, except the donkey that I myself was riding. 13 I went out through the Valley Gate, past the Jackal's Well, and over to the Dung Gate to inspect the broken walls and burned gates. 14 Then I went to the Fountain Gate and to the King's Pool, but my donkey couldn't get through the rubble. 15 So I went up the Kidron Valley instead, inspecting the wall before I turned back and entered again at the Valley Gate. 16 The city officials did not know I had been out there or what I was doing, for I had not yet said anything to anyone about my plans. I had not yet spoken to the religious and political leaders, the officials, or anyone else in the administration. 17 But now I said to them, "You know full well the tragedy of our city. It lies in ruins, and its gates are burned. Let us rebuild the wall of Jerusalem and rid ourselves of this disgrace!" 18 Then I told them about how the gracious hand of God had been on me, and about my conversation with the king.They replied at once, "Good! Let's rebuild the wall!" So they began the good work. 19 But when Sanballat, Tobiah, and Geshem the Arab heard of our plan, they scoffed contemptuously. "What are you doing, rebelling against the king like this?" they asked. 20 But I replied, "The God of heaven will help us succeed. We his servants will start rebuilding this wall. But you have no stake or claim in Jerusalem."- Nehemiah 2:11-20 (NLT)

When faced with potentially life altering decisions, the best thing that we can do, initially, is to keep the matter between ourselves and God. The Lord will direct us to the proper course of action and confirm our plans. To make a decision without consulting the Lord is to invite disaster!

While waiting on the Lord's confirmation that your decision is indeed in keeping with His "good and perfect will" for your life. Look into the matter more carefully. Lay all the "ground work" (i.e., collect all of the paperwork or other materials necessary) to proceed with the decision, at God's appointed time. 


Be very careful about who you share your plans with. Nehemiah did not consult anyone, but the Lord. He only took a few people with him to inspect the damage that had been done to the walls.And, he made his inspection at night, so that no one would suspect what he was planning to do.Nehemiah did not tell the city officials or religious leaders about his plans to rebuild the wall, until he was certain that the Lord was with him in completing the job.


There are a myriad of potentially life altering decisions that we can make in our life times. But, whether you are considering applying for another job, entering into the ministry, selecting a spouse, or purchasing an automobile, don't make a decision without seeking the Lord's wisdom and direction for your life!


To complete today's Bible study, go to the Bible Study for Busy People blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment